- The Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand (Top Picks)
- Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand Buyers Guide (Choosing and Using Your Product)
- Types of Beach Carts and Wagons
- Most Important Features of a Beach Wagon
- Safety Tips for Using Beach Carts and Wagons
- How to Use a Beach Wagon the Right Way
- Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand Comparison Chart
Spring and summer are on the horizon once again, and it’s time to get ready for family trips down to the oceanside. Although these days should be full of fun, there are some tedious aspects, namely, lugging all your gear from the car and through the sand until you find your spot for the day.
To minimize the effort of getting your chairs, beach bags, umbrellas, and coolers down to the shore, you need one of the best beach carts and wagons for sand. It can be tough to know what to look for in such products, so here are some beach carts and wagons for sand reviews to ease the burden.
The Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand (Top Picks)
There are so many beach wagons on the market; it can be tough to know which are the best for you and your family. To make your search go smoothly (and get you ready for the beach more quickly), check out the best beach cart and wagons below. Our top picks are listed in no particular order.
This folding wagon is equipped with large polyurethane (PU) wheels that enable you to pull your belongings across the beach sand as smoothly as possible. The PU wheels’ bearings and tread patterns support this enhanced maneuverability while also reducing the wagon’s noisiness from your car to the ebbing and flowing tides.
Not only do these specially designed wheels improve your wagon’s mobility, but they support its strength as well. This heavy-duty wagon can carry up to 176 lbs, allowing you to carry as much of your beach gear down to the water as possible.
The wagon is also collapsible, perfect for easy storage once you’ve brought all your blankets, sand buckets, and more back from the oceanside.
To ease your maintenance, Sekey has designed the wagon with 600D double-layered polyester fabric. This material is easy to clean and can be replaced with little hassle in case any lasting damage occurs.
In case anything comes up with your Sekey heavy-duty collapsible wagon, the manufacturer offers a two-year warranty.
- All-terrain wheels enhance transport capability
- Wheels’ ball bearings are designed to minimize noise
- 600D double-layered polyester is easily cleaned and weather-resistant
- Collapsible for easy storage
- Can carry up to 176 lbs
- Some customers had trouble maneuvering cart because of the large size
- Despite the collapsible design, it can still be a challenge to store due to the length
- The wagon is very heavy, so it can be hard to handle after collapsing
Uquip designed this all-terrain wagon to support your ability to bring your gear to and from the beach, regardless of the sand’s condition. Whether you’re walking over your wet, packed sand or a dry, loose seashore, this extra-large beach cart will carry up to 220 lbs of your belongings.
No matter how much you pack into your wagon (up to the weight limit), you’ll never have to worry about the fabric giving way. The 600D Ripstop fabric is specially designed to uphold durability for as long as possible, standing up to the sand and splashes of ocean water.
Whether you’re just beginning your day or wrapping up for the evening, this beach cart’s design allows for ease of manipulation. Assembly requires no tools whatsoever, and breaking it down is easy and quick.
Adults and children can handle this wagon with ease, thanks to the adjustable handle. If any mishaps come up during this use, Uquip offers a one-year warranty to resolve them.
- Can carry up to 220 lbs
- 600D Ripstop fabric is strong and durable
- Adjustable handle allows for comfortable hauling
- Wheels are suitable for packed sand
- Foldable for easy storage
- Some customers had issues with the wheels locking up in the sand
- Does not perform well in soft, loose sand
- Wheel brackets don’t do well in loose sand either
Take a nostalgia trip with this throwback wagon design from Radio Flyer. The rich red color (a signature of this brand’s carts and wagons) stands out against the smooth, light wood, almost deceptive to the wagon’s durability and strength.
This classic cart can carry up to 200 lbs, a testament to its heavy-duty design. Other aspects of Radio Flyer’s innovative configuration include the hidden extra storage option. If you need a bit of additional space, fold the long pull handle underneath the carriage to add another platform where you can store your items.
This wagon has been confirmed to be safe for kids 1 ½ and up to use. So, if your little one wants to lend a helping hand, feel free to welcome their participation without a worry of injury or another accident.
Whether you or your toddler is pulling the wagon, you can depend on the 10″ rubber all-terrain tires to travel across the sand hassle-free. In case anything comes up, remember that Radio Flyer offers a one-year warranty for unregistered wagons and a two-year warranty for those registered with the company.
- The extra-long handle is perfect for comfortable hauling
- You can pull the handle underneath the carriage for extra storage
- Can carry up to 200 lbs
- All-terrain wheels can travel over several types of terrain
- All-steel body enhances durability
- Some customers state that the material does not live up to Radio Flyer’s standard heavy-duty products
- Wooden railings can crack relatively easily during shipping or storage
- Some have reported that wheels emit a strong chemical odor
MacSports is undoubtedly one of the most trusted brands for manufacturing safe, reliable, durable wagons. Their double-decker model lives up to their reputation, with thousands of people attesting to how versatile and dependable this product is.
This model features two separate storage layers, which can altogether carry up to 150 lbs. This fantastic design provides you with the most flexibility possible as you make your way to and from the beach.
Far too often, parents face the dilemma of making their sleepy toddler walk down the shore after they’ve just awoken from their slumber on the drive down to the beach. Instead of sacrificing your toddler’s comfort to fit all your things in the cart, take advantage of the lower tier’s storage.
Any extra items that would’ve interfered with your little one’s comfort can be shifted to the bottom instead.
No matter what (or who) you store in the cart, rest assured that the wagon will maintain smooth navigation thanks to the high-quality rubber tires. To ensure your comfort while you pull your cart along, MacSports included a telescopic handle design, so you can configure the wagon just as you need it.
A one-year limited warranty comes with your wagon in case you’re dissatisfied with its functionality.
- Can carry up to 150 lbs
- The two-tier design increases storage capacity
- Includes two mesh bottle holders for drink storage
- The telescopic handle allows personalized comfort for the user
- Rubber wheels are great for transporting your items over the sand
- The main basket is 2.5″ smaller than the marketed dimensions
- Cannot stand on its own when folded
- No locking mechanism on the wheels
This is an amazingly innovative beach cart design. As a 2-in-1 product, this MacSports cart can carry your items one moment and you the next!
You can load all your things into this wagon upon arriving at the beach, using the adjustable telescopic handle to fit the product to your liking. As you travel down to the seashore, you can rely on the wide tread wheels to smoothly travel across the sand, packed down or loose.
(As you move about, don’t worry about your items weighing too much – this model can support up to 100 lbs.)
Once you’ve found your lounge spot, unload all your things and get ready for a relaxing lounge by the ocean. When converted into a chair, this MacSports multi-purpose beach cart boasts a four-position adjustable backrest. It can hold up to 225 lbs, so you needn’t worry about any mishaps while you’re kicking back.
It’s equipped with an aluminum powder-coated frame and 600D fabric so that you can trust the wagon with both your own body and items’ weight. However, if it does fail, MacSports offers a one-year limited warranty.
- Convertible into a beach chair
- Telescoping handle allows customizable comfort levels
- Wheels’ tread is wide, perfect for transporting gear over sand
- Aluminum powder coated frame is highly durable
- 600D polyester fabric is easily maintained and weather-resistant
- Compromises weight capacity for functional versatility (only holds up to 100 lbs)
- The chair cannot fully recline
- Cannot stand upright when folded
Best Choice’s considerations for protecting small kids’ skin from the harsh sun and the simultaneous need for cargo storage are apparent in the wagon’s construction.
The first component which demonstrates their awareness of these all-too-common necessities is the canopy, one of its most unique attributes. This weather-resistant cover is ideal for shielding your child’s (or pet’s) fragile skin from harsh sun rays. When working in tandem with sunblock, the two provide an excellent defense against sunburns.
This polyester fabric stretches around the entirety of the wagon, around the powder-coated steel frame. It can support up to 150 lbs in the 32″ cargo area, perfect for carrying a few key beach supplies alongside your lounging child.
This wagon continues to stand out above all other products in its category, given its ample storage space. In addition to the main cart area, you can also haul your drinks in the two cup holders near the handle or other items in the detachable pockets.
No matter what (or who) you store inside, you can rely on the thickly-treaded tires to carry everything safely through the sand, down to the beach. If any mishap occurs, contact Best Choice and take advantage of your 60-day warranty.
- Canopy perfect for shading toddlers inside
- The foldable design and removable canopy are great for storage
- Lots of storage area – 32″ basket, detachable pocket, and two cup holders
- Powder-coated steel frame and weather-resistant polyester enhance durability
- Carries up to 150 lbs
- The canopy frame is not easily removable; you must disassemble this part of the wagon for removal
- Cannot be folded with roof attached
- Need a cushion in the cargo area, as it is not comfortable for a child to sit in without any additional padding
This is perhaps one of the most comfortable carts for adult use at the beach.
People don’t often acknowledge it, but one of the most common drawbacks of using a standard wagon is the strain it puts on your shoulder. Having to continuously pull a moderately heavy load with your arm outstretched awkwardly behind you, along with the sand’s resistance, can be exhausting, even straining.
If you’ve had one too many nights of shoulder pain after a day of lugging a wagon along at the beach, then this is the cart for you.
Rio Brands designed this beach cart to be pushed in front of you, freeing you of the discomfort you’d expect from a regular wagon.
The wheel sizes differ between the front (highly maneuverable, articulating wheels) and back (wide, all-terrain wheels), ensuring equal weight distribution and smooth movement during use.
You won’t have to compromise on what you bring down to the oceanside, either, as the cart boasts 15 cubic feet of storage, supporting up to 100 lbs in the main basket and bottom tray. If any mishaps arise with its functionality, make sure to take advantage of the 2-year warranty.
- All-terrain wheels enable you to carry items across all sorts of beach environments
- Features 15 cubic feet of storage
- Can be pushed in front of you instead of pulled
- Lots of storage – includes an umbrella holder, extra rack, and removable tote bag
- Articulating front wheels for maneuverability
- Relatively low weight capacity at only 100 lbs
- Very noisy when not on the beach
- Umbrella holder only fits narrow models
Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand Buyers Guide (Choosing and Using Your Product)
At first glance, it seems that it should be an easy task to choose, which could be the best beach cart and wagons for you. After all, you only need to consider the carrying capacity and the tires’ durability, right? Not quite.
There are many different types of beach wagons and specific use considerations to think about before committing to a purchase. Consult the buying guide below to ensure you make an informed choice.
Types of Beach Carts and Wagons
As you can see, there are several types of beach carts and wagons, each of which has a unique purpose and application. To determine which is best for you, see the following variations and their descriptions below.
Collapsible (or Folding) Beach Carts
These are some of the most widely beloved wagon configurations, thanks to their maximal portability. The wagon’s frame is designed in a way that allows you to break the product down into a fraction of its normal size, allowing you to fit it into narrow crevices in your vehicle.
This is perfect for most families that regularly visit the beach, and especially those who stay for long periods. Think about it: If you’ve got lots of beach gear – say, a volleyball net, beach ball, cooler, towels, chairs, and an umbrella – then you’re unlikely to have enough space to store a full wagon.
This design helps minimize any extra storage space you might need, maximizing the number of items you can bring with you on your beach day.
Two-Tier Beach Wagons
These models are excellent for not only increasing the wagon’s storage capacity but organizing it as well. For instance, imagine that you were bringing a small- to moderately-sized cooler down to the shore. You may not want the icy container up against your towels, so they can be warm and toasty when you lie down.
So, you can store one of the items in the cart and the other on the bottom tray to keep the right things warm and cold.
Plus, many beach products are too long to carry in the main cart, such as umbrellas or lounging chairs. Instead of carrying them or leaving them in the car, you can stash them on the bottom, letting them poke out of the open end.
For these reasons and more, two-tier wagons are a lifesaver to beachgoing families.
Convertible Beach Wagons
These beach wagons and carts take the cake in terms of versatility. Their functionality is not restricted to carrying your most crucial beach gear down to the ocean. They can also convert into either a lounging chair or table, depending on the specific model you get.
The former is the most common form of the convertible beach wagon, though, while the latter is significantly more challenging to find outside of brands like the Wonder Cart. You can simply flip this one over, and it becomes a lovely snack table for storing drinks and food.
Those looking to maximize their wagon’s functionality without taking up too much space or incorporating too many add-ons will appreciate the many variations of the convertible beach wagon.
Pushable Beach Carts
Pushable beach carts are a lifesaver for those who visit the beach often. As mentioned above with the Rio Brands model, dragging a cart behind you through the sand can be exhausting (even if the burden is light!).
You can’t help but hold your shoulder at an awkward angle that’s bound to leave you sore the next day, perhaps even just a few hours into your time by the ocean. This can be even more of a problem for older individuals who may be more at risk for joint problems such as arthritis.
Not to mention little kids who can’t quite walk straight keep the wagon moving smoothly at the same time.
No matter what your age may be, pushable wagons are significantly easier to maneuver. Plus, they allow you to keep your eyes on your belongings, so you know right away if something has fallen off the cart into the sand.
The only drawback is that pushable carts will likely have less storage space because they’re taller than they are wide. If you’re ok with giving up just a bit of room for physical comfort, then this is the type for you.
All-Terrain Beach Wagons
By far, these wagons are the best suited for any sand you might come across when lounging on the oceanside. As a regular beachgoer, you know that there are all sorts of seashores – from the sandy shores littered with shell pieces, small rocks, and sea glass to the soft sands that act like quicksand, pulling your wagon down into the ground.
You need to depend on your wagon’s wheels to get all your things down to the beach without sustaining too much damage. Which better style is there for the job than all-terrain?
According to Radio Flyer, their wheels, like those featured on the all-terrain model described above, can travel over more than just sand. Feel free to take this wagon through your garden’s dirt or the heavy gravel pathway leading up to your home.
Though not many people consider the tires’ strength and endurance when buying their wagon, models like Radio Flyer’s prove that this is one of these products’ most important features.
Most Important Features of a Beach Wagon
When shopping for a brand-new beach cart or wagon, you’ll need to know which features to prioritize to make sure it can move well through the sand.
Just like there are several model variations for different purposes, various features each have unique applications that can make or break it’s suitability for you. These primary attributes include:
Most beach carts and wagons can carry between 100-250 lbs. Review how much you usually carry down to the water with you to ensure you’re buying a capable model. For instance, if you normally bring a single beach chair and a few towels, a 100-lb capacity is sufficient. You’ll need more strength for a cooler, though.
Type of Wheels
There are several types of wagon wheels, each designed to travel over different kinds of terrain. Here are some of the most common styles and what you can expect concerning functionality.
- Balloon wheels: These are very wide, low-pressure wheels, specially made to carry heavy loads over challenging terrain. Wheels in this category are excellent for hauling your beach gear over sand, thanks to their wide surface area and load capacity.
- All-terrain: Unlike balloon wheels, these have a tread pattern that enables the material to secure traction on the sand’s surface. The tread is central to their ability to travel smoothly over “all terrains,” ranging from the beach to the garden.
- Non-specialized: If they do not fall into the above categories, wagon wheels will often be rubber tires with tread. Most of the time, they’re quite narrow, but the tread’s thickness depends on the model’s purpose. The best examples of such wheels include the MacSports Double-Decker cart and Best Choice wagon.
If you’re looking to maximize your space and efficiency even more, you might want to consider getting a multi-purpose wagon like the MacSports 2-in1. This way, you won’t need to bring any extra gear to the beach, like beach chairs and tables.
- Canopy: This is perhaps one of the simplest features. The only time you’ll need a canopy is if you’re planning to pull your child or pet in the cart along with just a handful of items to the shore. If you’re only putting your chairs, towels, snacks, and such things in the wagon, there’s no need for a canopy.
- Fabric: Most well-made wagons feature polyester fabric on the basket portion of the wagon and the canopy, if applicable. This is the ideal material, thanks to its durability and ease of maintenance. It’s weather-resistant and very easy to clean, so you can rest assured that it’ll last a while.
- Framing material: Powder-coated steel frames are common in beach carts and wagons. Manufacturers prefer this material primarily because of its pleasing aesthetic, durability (it’s weather- and corrosion-resistant), and sustainability. All these traits make a powder-coated steel frame perfect for you and the environment.
There are also some models, like the Rio Beach cart, that feature an umbrella holder and detachable tote bag. Although these aspects aren’t as in-depth as a convertible chair or table, they can still eliminate the need for extra trips back to the car.
Safety Tips for Using Beach Carts and Wagons
Thankfully, beach carts and wagons are not dangerous to use. However, they can be hazardous if used without careful attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations or environmental awareness.
Some of the most notable considerations you must have when using your cart are as follows:
- Hauling kids in the wagon. Kids love being transported in wagons since they’re not as restrictive as a stroller. When giving your child a ride in the beach cart, be mindful of the items you store in the basket with them. Avoid storing any sharp or pointy items while they’re inside, and be mindful of the beach’s incline and your speed to avoid falls.
- Know the load capacity of your beach cart or wagon. Whether you’re exclusively hauling gear or are giving your toddler a joy ride, you must be mindful of the cart’s carrying capacity. Exceeding the weight limit increases the likelihood of the fabric ripping or the frame falling, leading to broken items or an injured passenger.
- Appropriate use to avoid damage. Some beachgoers complain of broken wheels after only a short time of using their new wagon. Although it’s not always the case, this disappointment can come about after repeated inappropriate use. Make sure you’re hauling loads on appropriate terrain and minding the cart’s limitations to avoid damage.
Remember that you shouldn’t use beach carts at high speeds either. Please keep from running with your cart or pushing it too quickly, as this can weaken the tires and speed up the rate of wear and tear.
How to Use a Beach Wagon the Right Way
- (Optional) Load your cooler toward the back of the cart. The “back” will be the opposite end of the cart from where you’re pulling. This will ensure a comfortable weight distribution and maximize the space available for additional items.
- Place any heavy items over the wheels. This is most applicable to carts with only two wheels. Putting your heavy items over the wheels will support equal weight distribution. Specifically, it’ll prevent there from being too much weight on one end of the cart, preventing the wagon from rocking back and forth or dragging on one end.
- Store small, loose items in beach bags. Don’t store loose items in the cart. That will take up too much space and make them vulnerable to the possibility of being broken or lost.
- Tie your items down with bungee cords. If you’ve stacked things on top of one another, then you’ll need to make sure nothing falls out of the cart as you’re walking down to the shore. Using bungee cords to secure any loose parts of the load will ensure that everything stays put.
- Note: This is only necessary if you’re hauling so many things that they stack higher than the cart’s sides. If everything fits nicely within the basket, there’s no need for bungees.
Since all wagons are different, some of these tips may not apply to you. Plus, your load may change with each trip to the beach. Be smart about how you pack your items to protect your gear and the wagon itself from damage and minimize the effort and hassle of getting your stuff down to the shore.
Best Beach Cart and Wagons for Sand Comparison Chart
|Product Name||Price||Material||Weight Capacity (pounds)||Unique Features|
|Sekey Heavy-Duty Folding Wagon Cart||$||Alloy Steel||176||Collapsible for easy storage, wheel ball bearings are designed to minimize noise|
|Uquip Buddy XL Beach Cart||$||Steel||220||Foldable for easy storage, comfortable hauling, fabric is strong and durable|
|Radio Flyer All-Terrain Steel & Wood Wagon||$||Metal||200||Steel body enhances durability, have space for extra storage|
|MacSports Double-Decker Wagon||$||Plastic||150||Have drink holders and storage capacity|
|MacSports 2-in-1 Beach Cart||$||Polyester, Aluminum, Plastic||220||Convertible into a beach chair, perfect for transporting gear over sand|
|Best Choice Products Utility Wagon||$||Steel, Rubber||150||Canopy perfect for sharing toddlers inside, foldable design|
|Rio Brands Beach Cart||$||Aluminum||100||Articulating front wheels for maneuverability|
No matter how often you visit the beach, you’re bound to want to minimize the number of trips you take to the car to get your gear. With these best beach carts and wagons for sand listed above, you can get all your items down to the shore in one go, with little to no hassle.