If you’re getting ready to take your little one out for a day at sea, then you’re going to want the best baby and infant boat shoes to keep your little one’s feet dry, prevent slipping, and of course, keep your child looking stylish.
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite boat shoes for infants and babies. Our list comprises a mix of options from the classic boat shoe to shoes intended for the water.
A day on the boat looks a little different for everyone. You may be on the boat all day, or you may want to spend some time in the water, on the beach, or exploring the local scenery. We’ve found a pair of boat shoes to fit every situation, so this boat shoes for babies and infants review should help you find just what you need.
Everything you will learn here
- The Best Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Reviews (Top Picks)
- Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Buyers’ Guide (Your Guide to Selecting the Best Product)
- Types of Boat Shoes
- Benefits of Using Boat Shoes
- Getting the Right Fit
- Best Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
The Best Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Reviews (Top Picks)
Below are some of our favorite baby and infant boat shoes. Although we’re using a numbered list, the numbers aren’t a ranking. Instead, we’ll discuss the benefits of each shoe so that you can choose the best option for your needs.
- Genuine leather upper
- Genuine rawhide fixed laces for authentic boat styling
- Hook and loop closure for easy on/off and adjustability
The Sperry Authentic Original Crib Hook & Loop Boat Shoe is the quintessential boat shoe and will look adorable on your baby. The shoes have a leather upper that is water repellant and a rubber sole to keep little feet from slipping on the deck. The materials are high-quality, the shoe is well-made, make this a durable option for your little one.
The shoes are a great fit, but they can run a little big. You may want to check out Sperry’s size chart and consider ordering a smaller size than normal. These shoes are ideal for days out on the boat and will look adorable with your child’s sailing outfit in photos.
- The shoes have the look of the laced originals but a hidden hook and loop closure that makes them easy to put on.
- The hole has ridged siping to prevent slipping.
- You can remove the footbed, and there’s a heel cup to add support.
- These shoes are a bit on the pricey side.
- The leather is high-quality but isn’t ideal if you plan to spend time in the water.
- They’re only available in tan, and many wish they were available in other colors like brown or navy.
Our next recommendation is the Old Soles Elephant Gray Baby Boat Shoes. These loafers are made of 100% leather upper and have a classic look that’ll look fantastic on your baby. It’s important to note that the smaller sizes don’t have the rubber on the sole and are intended as crib shoes, not walkers.
These shoes are soft and supple, ideal for little feet that are new to walking or need to be kept warm. Doctors recommend leather for first walkers, so these are good for use on the boat and off. The elephant gray color ensures that the shoes will match any outfit your child wears.
- The soft-soled bottom is a good fit for new walkers.
- The soft leather will keep your child’s foot warm and safe.
- The insole is also padded with leather, so your child’s feet are warm during colder weather and cool during warmer weather.
- Since these shoes are soft-soled, they won’t offer as much protection if your child is walking over rough terrain.
- These shoes are leather, so they won’t be ideal if your child will spend time in the water or the sand.
- The shoes are a little on the expensive side but are made of high-quality materials.
- LIGHT DESIGN: Perfect for play, our Kids Jefferson loafer features ventilating perforation details, a round toe silhouette, and an EVA upper, lining, and sole making these shoes lightweight and comfy.
- VEGAN MATERIALS: Certified Vegan edition of the classic Jefferson features a perforated EVA upper, a shock-absorbent sole, and a rubber toe cap made with vegan materials.
- ODOR-RESISTANT: Odor-resistant shoes feature an EVA upper that is flexible and features all-over perforations to control temperature and to allow airflow around the feet so feet don't get smelly.
Native Jefferson Child shoes are some of the most popular shoes for babies and kids. These shoes are lightweight and made of EVA, making them perfect for days on the boat and beach. The shoes have a thick rubber sole with treads to keep your child from slipping on the deck.
These shoes are closed-toe but also have holes, so they’re perfect for wear in the water or if you’re navigating rougher terrain. They come in a wide variety of colors, so you can easily match them with any outfit. They’re easy to get on and off and are durable enough to handle whatever damage your child may inflict.
- These shoes can easily be hand washed with gentle soap.
- You won’t have to worry about smelly boat shoes since they’re odor resistant.
- The toe cap protects your baby’s feet from injury.
- Native shoes have a narrow fit, so they may not work for kids with wider feet.
- The soles are a little stiff, so they’re not ideal for new walkers.
- They can cause blisters if they don’t fit properly.
If you want an extremely lightweight boat shoe for your infant, you can’t go wrong with Nike Aqua Sock 360s. The mesh upper makes the shoe lightweight like a sock, and the minimal sole offers protection without adding unnecessary weight.
Nike Aqua Socks fit snugly, as their name suggests. You won’t have to worry about these shoes coming off, and since the fit is snug, your child can run about the deck with easy. The rubber sole provides extra traction. The mesh fabric makes these shoes perfect for going from the boat to the beach, and they’ll dry quickly if they get wet.
- The flexible rubber sole is good for beginning walkers.
- The heel has a pull tab, so these shoes are easy to get on and off, despite their snug fit.
- They come in three cute colors.
- The lightweight mesh doesn’t offer as much protection for your child’s toes.
- They can run small, so you may need to go up one size.
- These shoes don’t offer as much support as some of the others on this list.
- FUN SPORTS FOOTWEAR: These pool-to-play athletic sneakers are the perfect go-to pair for going from the splash pad to home; Features easy elastic laces that give it a sporty look
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Running shoes with lightweight quick-drying fabric and a breathable mesh knit upper gives an airy feel; Padded insoles provide comfort to the little feet
- SLIP ON SHOES: Kids can easily put-on or take-off these joggers with the help of locker loops
If you want a boat shoe that can also serve as a water shoe and looks like a sneaker, the OshKosh B’Gosh Kids’ Tahoe Sneaker is a great option. This shoe has a mostly mesh upper, but unlike other water shoes, it actually looks like a sneaker. Since these shoes are a mix of a boat shoe, water shoe, and sneaker, it’s easy for your child to take on almost any sort of adventure in these shoes.
The mesh is lightweight, cool in warm weather, and dries quickly when wet. The rubber sole has additional padding to keep your child’s foot comfortable. They’re durably constructed and should last your infant the entire summer.
- Locker loops and pull tabs make these shoes easy to put on and take off.
- These shoes run true to size.
- They’re machine washable for easy clean-up.
- It only comes in a couple of colors.
- These don’t offer the traditional, dressier style of a classic boat shoe.
- They can run a little wide, so they may not be perfect for kids with narrow feet.
- WATER-RESISTANT UPPER: Washable polyester webbing featuring quick dry lining for all day use in and out of the water
- TRACTION & PROTECTION: Multi directional lugs help provide superior grip on slippery and wet terrain; Non marking rubber outsole leaves no trace when walking indoors
- SUPPORT & COMFORT: Lace lock bungee capture system provides a secure fit while offering a quick and easy way to get them on and off; Metatomical footbed provides excellent arch support and cradles the natural contours of the foot
If you want a baby and infant boat shoe that provides you the flexibility for any activity, the Keen Kids’ Seacamp is one of our most versatile options. These shoes provide the rugged sole your child will need for walking on a slippery deck or all sorts of terrain while also being lightweight and open, making them suitable for warm weather and time in the water.
Bungee cords, pull tabs, and hook and loop fasteners ensure that these shoes will be secure on your child’s foot. You also don’t have to worry about smelly shoes. These are made with a special probiotic that’s safer for the environment and prevents odors.
- The rubber-covered toe cap offers added protection for your baby’s delicate feet.
- These shoes come in a wide array of colors, sure to match any of your child’s outfits.
- The mesh lining is hydrophobic, meaning your child’s feet dry quicker.
- The sandals can be a bit narrow, so you may opt to go up a size.
- They don’t have as much arch support as some other shoes.
- While the shoes are made to prevent odors, some wearers report smelly feet.
- Baby's water shoe with rubber traction
- Adjustable strap closure for easy on/off
- Washable materials for easy cleaning
Another great hybrid shoe is the Stride Rite Made2Play Phibian. The shoe has a 100% EVA upper, making it lightweight and odor-resistant. There’s deep siping on the bottom, making them incredibly skid-resistant and perfect for running around on the boat. Bungee cords and a hook and loop closure mean they’ll fit securely, and tabs guarantee you can get them on and off with little hassle.
These shoes are perfect for almost any adventure. Wear them on the boat, on the beach, in the water, or on a hike. They’re both lightweight and durable, so your child’s foot will be safe no matter what activity they’re doing.
- Plenty of ventilation keeps your kid’s foot cool and dry.
- These shoes can be thrown in the washing machine or wiped off using a gentle soap.
- Aegis Biome lining and antimicrobial treatment can help with odors.
- These can cause blisters for infants with sensitive feet.
- The rubber may be a little too stiff for early walkers.
- These shoes fit snugly, so you may want to go a size up.
(Want to have more softies for those beautiful feet? must visit Best Toddler Beach Sandals)
Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Buyers’ Guide (Your Guide to Selecting the Best Product)
There are so many options for baby and infant boat shoes that it can become difficult to know whether you’re making the right decision. Below, we’ve compiled a buying guide to help you figure out what you need to look for in boat shoes.
Types of Boat Shoes
The most common type of boat shoe is a topsider style, with a leather upper and a rubber sole. These shoes were specifically designed to be worn on boats.
Kids will often wear water sandals while on boats. These shoes have a thick rubber sole to keep kids from slipping but are also more water-friendly. You may want a water sandal if you plan to dock your boat and spend some time in the water or on the beach.
There are also sneaker-water shoe hybrids. These shoes are more enclosed than a water shoe while still being made of a material that doesn’t retain water. Hybrids are a good option if you’re boating and doing other activities, such as hiking, that require more of a closed-in shoe.
Benefits of Using Boat Shoes
Boats can get slippery, especially when you’re walking around on the main deck where water may accumulate. It’s all too easy to slip over the edge and into the water, which can be a dangerous circumstance for an infant.
If your infant is a new walker, they may be prone to falling often. It’s important that when your child is on a boat, they have a pair of shoes with a wide sole for balance and a good siping (also known as a tread) to keep your child from slipping.
A good pair of boat shoes can also help keep your child’s feet relatively dry. Some boat shoes are made to repel water, while others are made of water-resistant materials and dry quickly when wet.
For beginning walkers, most doctors recommend that barefoot is best. Babies should spend their first few months as walkers learning without shoes, even ones that are designed for walking.
Of course, a boat would be an exception to this rule. While on a boat, your child should wear boat shoes to avoid slipping. It’s just important to remember that these shoes should only be worn while boating and not at other times.
Getting the Right Fit
If you’re buying boat shoes for a beginning walker, it’s important to get the right fit. The shoes should be wide to aid in balance. There should be a small amount of space – but not too much – to avoid blisters.
There should be a bit of space at the toe to give your child room when walking. This space should be roughly the size of the width of your thumb. While it can be tempting to buy your child’s shoes a little on the larger side to lengthen their lifespan, wearing shoes that are too big can impede a child’s walking.
(We also have our top pickups of Toddler Boat Shoes)
Best Baby and Infant Boat Shoes Comparison Chart
|Sperry Authentic Original Crib Hook & Loop Boat Shoe
|The hole has ridged sipping to prevent slipping
|Old Soles Elephant Gray Baby Boat Shoes
|Ethylene Vinyl Acetate
|The soft-soled bottom is a good fit for new walkers
|Native Jefferson Child
|The toe cap protects your baby's feet from injury
|Nike Aqua Sock 360
|The flexible rubber sole is good for beginning walkers
|OshKosh B'Gosh Kids' Tahoe Sneaker
|These shoes run true to size.
They're machine washable for easy clean-up
|Keen Kids' Seacamp 2 CNX Closed-Toe Sandal
|The mesh lining is hydrophobic, meaning your child's feet dry quicker
|Stride Rite Made2Play Phibian
|Plenty of ventilation keeps your kid's foot cool and dry
Any of these options can make the ideal baby and infant boat shoes for your little one. As long as you consider what you’ll be doing and where your child is regarding walking, you’ll be sure to find the shoe that’s perfect for your child.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API