Too much sun is never a good thing. It’s even more critical for the tender skin of your toddlers, as too much sun exposure can lead to painful sunburns or blisters. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends using wide-brimmed hats and lightweight clothing to protect a toddler’s skin.
Toddler beach hats are designed to protect children from the sun while also looking adorable. The best toddler beach hats help toddlers keep cool and protect their delicate heads and necks from the sun. Proper fit is essential. Anything too snug could be uncomfortable and could irritate your toddler’s skin.
Below you’ll find toddler beach hat reviews to help you select the best protection for your toddler, whether at the beach, in a boat, the pool, or backyard.
Everything you will learn here
- The Best Toddler Beach Hats Reviews (Top Picks!)
- 1. SimpliKids UPF 50+ Wide Brim Baby Sun Hat
- 2. SimpliKids UPF 50+ Baby Hat w/Neck Flap & Drawstring
- 3. iPlay 2 Pack UPF 50+ Sun Protection Flap Sun Hats
- 4. Sunday Afternoons Kids Play Hat
- 5. Connectyle Unisex Fedoras Boater Sun Hat
- 6. SwimZip Kid’s Sun Hat Protection Hat for Baby, Toddler, Kids
- 7. Tuga Reversible Bucket Sun Hat
- 8. My Swim Baby Sun Hat
- What to Consider When Choosing the Best Toddler Beach Hat
- Best Toddler Beach Hats Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
The Best Toddler Beach Hats Reviews (Top Picks!)
Protecting your toddler from the damaging rays of the sun is essential. One of the best ways to do this is to carry beach hats wherever you go. Not only are they adorable, but they provide ample protection for your little one.
We have numbered the product reviews listed below for your convenience, but they are in no particular order or ranking.
- UPF 50+ Sun Protection: Our UPF 50+ Baby hats made with UPF 50+ sun protection polyester fabric for the best sun protection coverage for babies, toddlers and kids from the sun's harmful rays
- Wide Brim: Toddler sun hat designed with wide brim, wide floppy brim offers extra protection and will keep the kids stay cool under the sun/beach/outside
- Adjustable: The baby hats adjustable head strap and chin-strap adjusts as your baby grows; adjustable chin strap has a safety breakaway feature to help prevent choking
SimpliKids sun hats are an easy way to protect toddlers when they’re outdoors. The brim offers UPF 50+ protection and is wide enough to help shield your toddler’s skin.
They’ve cleverly placed the drawstring in the back, which helps secure a tight fit on your toddler’s head. Older toddlers may try to pull on the chin tie, but the drawstring should help keep the hat securely on their head. Choose from more than ten colors and patterned fabrics and a range of sizes for babies of 1-12 months up to 2-4 years.
Surprisingly, compared to colored hats, the white material is reflective and stays cooler on your toddler’s head. The strap is long enough to keep the hat on, and the adjustability leaves room for your toddler to grow.
- 100% Polyester
- Drawstring closure
- UPF 50+ UV Ray sun protection
- Wide brim offers extra protection
- Drawstring adjusts
- Compact design for easy carry
- Thin material
- Straps too delicate and easily break.
- UPF 50+ Sun UV ray protection
- Lightweight, packable, compact design
- Wide brim & adjustable drawstring head size
This is the best sun protection to keep your toddler safe from the heat of the sun. With all the SimpliKids wide brim baby hat’s great features, these sun hats protect the sensitive neck area with an extra-long flap.
The extra-long neck flap reaches far down to a toddler’s shoulders. It’s made of super lightweight material and blocks out 98% of harmful UV rays. It also helps keep your toddler cool with material that wicks moisture away.
- Includes all-important neck flap
- Drawstring closure
- UPF 50+ Sun UV ray protection
- Compact design and easy for travel
- Wide brim for extra protection
- Chinstrap secures hat in place.
- Not best fit for babies
- Poorly designed drawstring
- Special sun protective fabric offers excellent sun protection.
- Ties under chin.
- Lightweight UPF 50+ Fabric
The iPlay sun hat, offered by the Green Sprouts brand, features a brim that holds its shape, even while wet so that it doesn’t droop in a toddler’s eyes. Machine washable and created out of a light breathable polyester, it’s sure to please on a beach or the lake.
A secure fit is essential, and the elastic positioned on the back allows for a snug fit on your toddler’s head. For toddlers who like to fiddle with straps, you can tie the chinstrap under the chin. This helps the hat stay put during play, on windy days, or when tugged on by the toddler.
This hat provides incredible coverage of the head, neck, and sides of the face to be a great choice for sun protection.
The two-pack allows you to always have a spare hat on hand so that all your toddler’s adventures can continue with consistent protection from the sun. Kids often get sunburned when they are outdoors, unprotected for longer than expected. Remember to plan ahead, and keep sun hats handy—in your car, bag, or backpack.
- Simple Design
- Great for both genders
- Neck Cover
- Breathable material
- Floppy neck guard
- Strong material
- Colors are dull
- Chinstraps eventually break off.
- 21/4" - 33/4" down-sloping brim with floatable foam core (brim length depend on size)
- Full 41/2" - 6" neck veil for protecting back of neck (veil length depend on size)
- UPF 50+ Certified sun Rating (mesh vents Not rated)
This is the ultimate sun protection hat. It has a wide brim, neck guard and consists of quick-drying material in 20 different colors. Made of water-repellent UPF 50+ nylon, these lightweight hats are made for splashing by the water on sunny days. Three adjustable sizes will accommodate your child, even as they grow.
The 2.5″ – 4″ down sloping brim (brim length depends on size) features a floating foam core to keep it on top of the water. It also has a breathable mesh to keep your toddler’s head cool. With the ultimate measure of 50+ UPF protection, this hat will protect your toddler even on the sunniest days.
For extra safety, the adjustable chinstrap uses breakaway technology and releases upon tension. A chinstrap is a must when you’re dealing with a fussy baby or you’re in a windy location.
- Highest UPF 50+ protection available
- Floating foam core
- Adjustable chin and head straps
- Breakaway chinstrap that releases upon tension
- Sizes from 0-24 months
- Full 5.5″ neck flap
- Water repellant & stain-resistant
- 20 different colors
- Sizing issues
- Hand-wash only
- 100% Polyester,soft breathable and lightweight material,comfortable to wear
- The adjustable chin straps feature a breakaway "no choke" clip to help prevent accidents and keep your little one safe
- The 3.15"/8cm wide brim will help shield your kids skin and offers extra protection
These adorable fedora sun hats are very soft and comfortable.
Each fedora sun hat allows for the ultimate in adjustability. Not only can you tighten the colored strip on the top of the hat, but you can also draw it around the chin. No matter how tight you pull the chinstrap, your toddler will not choke because the strap will “break away.”
The wide brim offers extra shade protection and will help protect your toddler’s skin. Comfort continues with a sweatband made out of moisture-wicking material meant to keep your toddler cool.
- 100% Polyester
- Adjustable hatband
- Breathable fabric
- Extremely adjustable
- Folds without creasing
- Moisture-wicking sweatband
- No UPF protection
- Hat too floppy; doesn’t hold shape.
- Made with the highest rated, UPF 50+ sun protection fabric and wide brim for the best sun protection coverage for babies, toddlers, and kids! SPF 50+ polyester material blocks 98% of UVA and UVB Rays!
- Adjustable. Both the head strap and the chin strap are adjustable to easily create the best fit possible.
- Break away chin strap to help prevent choking.
Keep your toddler’s delicate skin safe in the sun with SwimZip’s built-in UPF 50+ sun protection, so there’s more time for enjoying the beach, lake, or pool.
The wide brim and sun protective material help keep the head, face, and neck protected from the sun’s UV rays. Hats feature an adjustable tightener around the head for easy size adjustments and a chinstrap to keep the hat on for breezy beach days or windy boat adventures.
This hat holds its shape over time and is comfortable for both babies and toddlers. The child sun hat can last for many years as it accompanies your child on all-new adventures. The hat comes in a variety of size options and colors.
- It floats!
- Wide brim for optimal protection
- Adjustable head and chinstraps
- Breakaway “no choke” clips
- Blocks 98% of all UVA rays
- Built-in UPF 50+ sun protection
- Wide range of color options
- Pair hat with SwimZip swimwear sets
- Flimsy adjustment straps
- Poor quality plastic straps
- Sizing issues
- SEE SIZING CHART UNDER PHOTOS FOR HELP: S (18-19 inch head circumference), M (19-20 inch head circum.), L (20.5-22 inch head circum.). Our Tuga kids floppy bucket swim hats provide excellent sun protection, versatility and unique prints. Great for toddlers and little to big girls. Designed in sunny San Diego, California.
- EXCELLENT SUN PROTECTION: Fabrics are rated UPF 50+ and provide maximum UV sun protection by blocking 98% of UVA + UVB sun rays, wet or dry; similar rating as SPF for sunscreens. Covered areas don't need sunscreen.
- SKIN SAFE. REEF SAFE: Tuga childrens water hats are made from fabrics that are great for kids with sensitive skin as well as the environment. Did you know that most sunscreens are not good for coral reefs? By wearing Tuga swimwear and reef-safe sunscreen on exposed areas, you’re helping to reduce your sunscreen footprint. We make skin safe and reef safe products!
These reversible hats come in fun solid colors and flowery prints that are sure to make a big splash. In a unique nod to the importance of a snug proper fit, the sizing on the Tuga hat is based on the circumference of your child’s head to ensure a proper fit.
- Removable chin strap
- Adjustable chin strap
- Color and pattern options
- UPF 50+
- Sunscreen Chemical Free
- Sides are a bit floppy.
- Colors may bleed in chlorinated waters.
- Lack of ventilation
- Reversible Designs
- Lightweight and Fast Drying
- Machine Washable
At a very affordable price, the My Swim Baby Sun Hat provides all the features you need with a lightweight, reversible design that can be machine washed.
For those stylish toddlers, the hats can coordinate with swim diapers made by the same brand. The hat comes in a variety of reversible colors and cute patterns like frogs, sharks, and whales.
The brim goes all the way around the hat, keeping your toddler protected.
While playing in the water or outside in the wind, the hat can be tied under the chin to keep it secure.
- Coordinates with swim diapers from the same brand
- Reversible designs
- Sizes for 0-36 months
- Cute fabric style
- Machine washable
- Fun colors/patterns
- No neck coverage
- Does not have an adjustable toggle
- Thin material allows some sun exposure.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Toddler Beach Hat
You may be compelled to grab the cutest beach hat you find for your adorable toddler, but there are some essential features that you should consider when choosing the best beach hat.
You’ll want to ensure the toddler beach hat fits properly. If your toddler’s sun hat is loose, it could fly off in the wind. Chinstraps will help keep the hat in place.
Even better? Adjustable band straps. Many hats offer such convenience, so it won’t be difficult to find something that meets your needs.
Certainly, most babies and toddlers won’t keep a hat on their heads voluntarily. Another factor sweeping hats off heads is the wind. It’s helpful to find a hat with adjustable chinstraps to help keep the hat perfectly positioned in place against the wind and a toddler’s fidgety fingers.
(You can read about our top pickups of Best Baby Beach Hats for your new born)
UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor)
Look for UPF material, which stands for ultraviolet protection factor. This refers to the amount of UV rays the clothing can block out.
Alongside sunscreen, it’s an extra layer of protection. Considered the highest protection, a level 50+ will adequately protect against sunburns. It is always preferable to choose hats with a UPF rating.
(You might be interested in reading our article on Best Toddler Beach Cover-Ups)
Wide Brim and Longer Neck Flap
The wider, the better! Just because your toddler’s sun hat is made from UPF material doesn’t mean you can’t go one step further and look for a sun hat that has a wide brim or longer back. While it may appear that a few inches couldn’t make that much of a difference, that extra length will create shade, thereby protecting your toddler’s sensitive face, ears, and neck.
A longer neck flap is essential to protect a toddler’s neck from further exposure. No matter which direction a baby turns, the flap should remain in place. This is important since the neck is particularly vulnerable to sunburn.
All Activities Need Protection
The CDC recommends that all toddlers and babies wear hats. In addition to seeking shade, covering up, wearing sunglasses, and applying sunscreen, the CDC urges that babies and toddlers wear hats that shade the face, scalp, ears, and neck. Always remember the eyes, nose and ears and cheeks, and all those little areas where you’re not going to be applying sunscreen spray or lotion.
A toddler beach hat is a great way to protect your baby from getting too much sun, whether you’re at the park, on a picnic, or laying out on the beach. Even the car can cause glare and heat from the sun onto your toddler’s head.
Some Kids More at Risk
A small percentage of children will have skin that never tans, only burns. Toddlers with freckles, or blue or green eyes, need to take extra care in the sun.
Remember that babies’ skin is thinner than older children’s and more sensitive to the sun. The skin of babies under six months old hasn’t even fully developed yet and should be kept out of direct sunlight.
(You can find about our Top Pickups on Best Baby Beach Hats for your new born)
Best Toddler Beach Hats Comparison Chart
|Product||Price||Fabric Material||Gender/Age||Unique Features|
|SimpliKids UPF 50+ Wide Brim Baby Sun Hat||$||Polyester||Kids||Drawstring closure, drawstring adjusts, compact design for easy carry|
|SimpliKids UPF 50+ Baby Hat w/Neck Flap & Drawstring||$||Polyester||Baby||Includes all-important neck flap, drawstring closure, UPF 50+ Sun UV ray protection|
|iPlay 2 Pack UPF 50+ Sun Protection Flap Sun Hats||$||Polyester||Unisex||Simple Design, great for both genders, neck cover, machine-washable|
|Sunday Afternoons Kids Play Hat||$||Polyester||Kids||Adjustable chin and head straps, 20 different colors|
|Connectyle Unisex Fedoras Boater Sun Hat||$||Polyester||Baby, Toddler, Kids||Adjustable hatband, breathable fabric, extremely adjustable|
|SwimZip Kid's Sun Hat Protection Hat for Baby, Toddler, Kids||$||Cotton||Baby, Toddler, Kids||Wide brim for optimal protection, adjustable head and chinstraps|
|Tuga Reversible Bucket Sun Hat||$||Nylon||Boys||Reversible, removable chin strap, adjustable chin strap|
|My Swim Baby Sun Hat||$||Polyester||Baby||Inexpensive, machine washable|
With so many choices out there, it’s difficult to decide which toddler beach hat you should get for your little one. The best hats offer UPF 50+ protection, are adjustable for the proper fit, have wide brims and longer neck flaps, and have breakaway chin straps.
The picks in this article all have stylish possibilities for those memorable beach days. We hope our list will make it easier for you to make your choice.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API