In 2023, more than ever, parents and caregivers are looking to find ways to spend time outside of their homes without resorting to crowded indoor areas. Many families have fond memories and experiences at the beach: running, playing, beachcombing, and building castles.
But what can you do when you get there, and the weather changes? Children are susceptible to sunstroke, hypothermia, and all the annoyances in between. From unwanted sand, chilly breezes, insects, and needing privacy, a good robe can quickly and cheaply change the tone of the day. Nothing ruins a fun beach picnic faster than a miserable child.
An often overlooked necessity for outdoor water play, the best toddler beach robes can really elevate the day from fun to spectacular. But how to choose?
Long sleeves, short sleeves, cotton, polyester, zippers, or ties – This thorough list of fantastic outdoor robes and cover-ups can help you decide which toddler robe is right to protect your child on the beach.
If you need some help deciding what type of beach robe is right for your child, skip to the bottom
of this article to view our buyer’s guide on toddler beach robes.
(You might also be interested in reading our article on Best Toddler Beach Cover-Ups)
Everything you will learn here
- Reviews: The 8 Best Toddler Beach Robes
- Make the Right Purchase: The Buyer’s Guide to 2023’s Toddler Beach Robes
- The 8 Best Toddler Beach Robes Comparison Chart
Reviews: The 8 Best Toddler Beach Robes
Chilly legs, sandy bodies, and unhappy kids – how can you make your next beach trip smoother with young children?
Enter: the beach robe! Stylish, functional, and weather appropriate, we will introduce you to the best of the best when it comes to keeping your little one comfortable at the beach this year.
The reviews below are numbered, but the numbering does not reflect our ranking. No matter which robe you choose, you will be buying a great product.
From the known high-quality manufacturers at TowelSelections comes a phenomenal robe for the preschoolers through tweens in your life – the hooded robe with attached waist tie is longer, warmer, and cozier than a boring old towel. Kids will love this to play pretend, warm up, and lounge!
Since this robe is so soft and plush, it may not be a good choice for sweltering days. It will, though, help keep your child warm should some clouds roll in for a while.
- Many color options
- Deep front pockets
- Stitched down belt – can’t get lost
- Machine washable
- Very plush – best for indoor/pool use
- The smallest size available is XS(4) – perfect for big toddlers/preschoolers, but not younger children
- 【Thoughtful Hooded Design】This is a girl's robe made of comfortable and soft fleece fabric. This bathrobe with a hooded design, to give kid's head and neck warm care. The light and smooth fabric gives children comfortable wearing experience. And the body with embroidery creative pattern, make the bathrobe more beautiful, deeply loved by children.
- 【Soft & Warm Material】The toddler bathrobe is made of high-quality 100% polyester fleece , which is skin-friendly, super soft, comfortable, warm and absorbent without any harm to the baby's skin. The plush is thick and tight and not easy to lint
- 【Multi-Purpose Use】This toddler girl bathrobe is suitable for daily indoor wear. Thick fabrics keep warmth without worry about catching cold. Whether it is intended to be used in the morning, evening, summer or winter, it is ideal for children's for housecoat, sleeping, bathing, swimming, etc.This fleece robe can be worn as lounging wear at home or wear over pajamas on those cold nights for hanging out.
The V. & Grin hooded robe offers a wide range of size options, is very affordable, and allows your child to have a robe just like one’s mom and dad get to wear.
This robe is short, so it is an excellent choice to stroll along the beach and even get in the water up to knee height.
- Sizes 3T – 12 years
- Soft polyester
- Few warm color options
- It could be too short for taller children
- PERFECT PRESENT - The ideal gift for baby registry, baby showers, gender reveal parties, holiday season, year-round birthdays, Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, 4th of July or simply for your newborn or baby's every day use.
- OPTIMAL FIT & FUNCTION - Our 2-piece sets are designed to prioritize fit and function from play to nap time. Featuring stretchy, wear and tear resistant materials, these dresses were made with parents in mind. Enjoy easy on & off dressing experience.
- Package Weight: 1.0 pounds
This adorable robe is hooded, short, and long-sleeved: perfect for drying off and lounging. The design is sweet and eye-catching, and the price tag is affordable if you’re testing out a robe for the first time.
The side pockets on this robe are great for helping your child keep their hands warm. If they have a favorite small toy they like to carry with them at all times, they will be able to keep it safe in the robe while they have their hands free for exploring.
- Pockets – what child doesn’t spend all day picking up treasures? Now they can carry them around themselves!
- Long sleeves
- Wide range of size options
- Polyester – this material will not dry as quickly and is not as breathable as natural fibers
- Limited color availability
- Very plush – more decorative than functional for outside use
- Set includes two hooded towels
- Made with soft, cozy fabric for baby's gentle skin
- Fun, friendly and cute designs
Alligators, chickens, and pandas, oh my! These adorable robes are perfect for babies – with a wide variety of animals and three color options, these teeny robes will have your little one cozy and dry from those chilly beach breezes.
This robe is fairly short, so it will not impede walking. This does mean, though, you may need a towel in addition to the robe to dry off your child.
- Many color/animal options
- Luxuriously soft
- Easy care – machine washable
- So cute!
- Polyester – not as breathable as a natural fiber
- Only 0-9m size option
- A waist tie could pose a safety risk with a baby
- Super soft and absorbent towel made of 100% terry cotton,dry you baby fast and keeps your baby warm
- 45.00" x 21.50" for 0-4 Years,55.00" x 27.50" for 4-8 Years,if you want to wear more years, you can buy the large size 4-8Y
- 3D dinosaur horns design, very cute cartoon towel, you can use it at home shower, pool swimming and beach robe, one towel for all season.
These affordable robes will keep little ones warm and stylish at the beach this year.
This robe is best for warm snuggles after a bath or some beach exploration; there are cute designs available to help your little one stand out.
- Terry cotton, which aids in faster drying and reduces the chance of heat rash
- Cute designs
- It comes with a matching hanger
- Limited color options
- Not as plush as polyester
- Cover Up for Girls: Fast drying absorbent terry cloth，Easy on/off dressing with convenient comfy full front zipper closure, beautiful girl beachwear.
- Hooded Zip Terry Coverups: Made by soft and comfortable material, protect your child against harmful UV rays, fashion sun protection dress for gilrs.
- Perfect for Summer: It is a beach dress or swimsuit cover-up which is perfect for sunscreen, beach, resorts, swimming pool and vacation.
Hooded, zippered, and oh-so-cute, this coverup is perfect for the athletic child! This coverup won’t restrict her movement, and with a high hemline and no waist ties, she won’t get tangled up while running and playing.
This garment is a nice hybrid between a beach robe and a traditional nighty. The zipper makes it easy to put on since you will not have to pull the fabric across damp skin.
- Attractive embroidery
- Functional pockets
- Zipper closure
- Cotton-Poly blend for breathability and softness
- Only available in short-sleeved options
- It could be too short for tall girls
- The smallest size is XS(4)
- - QUICK DRY & COZY - Premium 100% organic cotton, super absorbent materials quick drying your little ones and keep them warm, which make them comfortable and adorable after bath and swim
- - IDEAL SIZE - Large size 50 inch X 30 inch not including hood, suitable for toddlers and children up to age 6, full cover up when they need to change cloths at beach or pool
- - MULTI-USE - With the ideal size and ultra soft feature, it can be used not only as a regular bath robe towel, but can be also be used as a cover up poncho when play at beach and pool, or as a washcloth
These whale-designed hooded towels are perfect for small children – cute, soft, and stays on!
Almost more towel than robe, this coverup is ideal for quickly picking up and drying a wet child. There are no sleeves to negotiate, so all you have to do is pop it over their head and bundle them up.
- No ties or zippers to worry about
- 100% cotton for quick drying and breathability
- Potential safety risk as the front does not open
- No sleeves, just a fold-over towel style
- Open sides – a child could get chilly
- EXTRA SOFT & ABSORBENT: Our thick and plush beach robe is made using soft and absorbent cotton that quickly dries moisture from their skin while being gentle making it the perfect choice for parents that want to get their child warm and dry quickly after a swim or soak, specially during cold weather or night swims at the pool or beach.
- BEAUTIFUL & TIMELESS DESIGN: We use a classic timeless design which coupled with our bright colors makes it ideal for boys. Our boys robes adds more style and makes your little one look even more adorable while helping them dry off fast.
- KEEP YOUR CHILD WARM: Thanks to the zipper seams our children’s swim robe prevents cold winds from getting to your little one which coupled with the warm deep double pockets make sure your child stays warm and comfy. It’s ideal for use as cover ups at pools, beaches and even at home after the hot tub.
Calling all movers and shakers! This robe was designed for kids who need to move and groove. It’s short enough to allow movement, long enough to keep them covered, and zippers up for complete core coverage.
- Zipper closure for a secure fastening
- Short enough not to trip little ones
- 100% cotton
- Limited size options
- Only one color option
(Also looking for Hats for your toddler, read our article on Best Toddler Beach Hats)
Make the Right Purchase: The Buyer’s Guide to 2023’s Toddler Beach Robes
Beach robes all serve a similar purpose, but there are distinctions between different products that may not seem obvious at first. We will now explain important points to consider when you purchase a robe.
The first and possibly most important consideration is the material of the robe. The robe will be in contact with your child’s skin, so choosing the right material is important for their comfort.
All of the robes we reviewed above are made from either cotton or polyester; some blend these materials. These are prevalent fabrics, and they are available in a variety of finishes.
The finish of the material will play a big role in the robe’s water absorbency and the robe’s warmth. Cotton robes that are woven the same way you would expect to see in a bath towel will be the best for drying off, whereas a plush polyester robe may be warmer to wear.
If you plan beach trips to hot areas, you will want a robe that can dry your child without overheating them, so thinner material is best.
If the weather may be cooler, it is better to go with a robe that will help dry your child quickly and keep them warm. If they are spending a lot of time out of the water, the robe may have to serve as a jacket.
Once you have chosen the right material for your robe, it is time to think about the garment’s design.
Hooded vs. Non-Hooded
Do you want the robe to have a hood?
Hoods make it easier to dry your kid’s hair, and they also offer an extra sense of security and ‘snuggliness.’ They can also be adorable, especially if they have fun features like eyes and ears.
Hoods can also get in the way of play. If your child prefers garments less restrictive and bulky, a hood may not be a great choice.
A hood provides an extra layer of sun protection, which is worth considering. However, this sun protection will also increase heat retention, so if the weather is hot, a beach hat that is separate from the robe could be a better choice.
The robe’s ideal sleeve length depends mostly on what your child will be doing in the robe. If the robe is primarily a means to dry them off, long sleeves will make this task easier.
If the robe is something they may be wearing for a long time and playing in, shorter or fitted sleeves will offer greater movement ease.
Distance from Ground
The overall length of the robe is similar to sleeve length. A longer robe will be a better tool for drying your kid, but a longer robe is also more likely to drag along the ground and get dirty.
If your child is playing in the robe, we recommend a shorter style. But if the robe is mainly just to keep them warm and dry when they are not playing in the water, longer may be better.
Some of the robes we reviewed include pockets. Whether or not to get pockets depends largely on your child’s personality.
A toddler or small child is unlikely to need pockets for their wallet, phone, and keys. However, some kids like pockets, so they have a place to put toys and things they find at the beach, like rocks and shells.
If you are concerned about your child picking up and keeping something they should not, pockets are probably not a good idea. But pockets may be a good idea if your kid likes to have a place for special toys or just to keep their hands.
Be aware of cords and straps on beach robes. Built-in features like drawstrings can be handy, but be careful to assess the risk of strangulation before letting your child use a robe.
Some people have sensitivities to certain materials and textures, so keep this in mind when purchasing a robe. If you are buying online, you will not physically feel the robe ahead of time, so make sure you research the seller’s return policy.
If you plan a family bonfire at the beach and the little ones will be joining you, cotton is likely a better material than polyester. Polyester melts and causes burns when it comes into contact with burning material, such as sparks from a campfire.
The 8 Best Toddler Beach Robes Comparison Chart
|Petit Lem - Girls Hooded Robe
|Hooded, long sleeves, adorable
|TowelSelections Beach Cover-up
|Many color options, front pockets
|Hudson Baby - Animal Face Hooded Robe
|Luxuriously soft, easy care - machine washable
|Maleroads - Soft Cotton Bath Robe
|Terry cotton, it comes with a matching hanger
|Girls Hooded Zip Terry Coverup
|Cotton and Polyester
|Attractive embroidery, functional pockets, zipper closure
|Organic Cotton Toddler Beach Coverup
|Kids and Toddler
|V. & GRIN Fleece Hooded Toddler Robe
|Sizes 3T - 12 years, hooded, pockets
|Terry Rich Beach Robe
|Zipper closure for a secure fastening, short enough not to trip little ones
Any beach robe that you choose from our list above will be a high-quality product that will do a good job of drying and warming your child when you are at the beach. The designs we have reviewed vary significantly, so there is likely something on our list suitable for you.
Watching your children explore a new environment like a beach is a wonderful sight to behold. A great beach robe will help them stay comfortable when they are outdoors, allowing you to focus on the quality time you have with your kid.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API